Wednesday 11 March 2015

Pickle Pie- Peek-a-boo crayon bag

Having two young children it is important when I go out that my bag is stocked with a few basic 'go-to' items. One item that I always have with me is this peek-a-boo crayon bag and it has saved many-a coffee dates, bank queue tantrums and even grocery shopping by keeping my little ones entertained.

Created and developed by: Pickle Pie designs (Buy Here)

Cost:  $10.99 (US)

Embroidered on: Husqvarna Topaz 20

Size Available:  5x7

Instructions: Yes (In color pics and very comprehensive!)

Skill level: Beginner to advanced (The instructions are very well written and if you are a beginner don't be put off by the perceived complexity of this case as the pictures will guide you the whole way.)

Time taken:  40 min after fabric cut out

Stabilizer used: I used medium weight tear away.

 

The peek-a-boo crayon case was the first design I did with vinyl. The first one that I made didn't turn out as I bought a plastic table cloth which was really thick with not much give and used that instead of the digitizer recommended 12 gauge or higher. If you go to the local craft store you can usually buy it off a roll and i found that perfect. 

 

The digitizer starts by giving you a list of supplies and measurements. I actually cut these fabric, vinyl and batting measurements out of cardboard first and then traced it onto the fabric. This serves two purposes. The first is you always have a template and if you store it in a zip lock bag together, you will always have it on hand. The next is when it references a certain size of fabric, rather than remeasuring you can just compare it to your template. 

 

You need batting for these cases as well as a POLYESTER zipper and tape to hold the various pieces in place. Every embroiderer will have a different opinion and brand. I use the surgical tape called 'transpore' which i buy at the local pharmacy/chemist. I love this tape as its not too thick and you can rip the pieces off as you need them.

 

Advice that i would give if this was your first time creating this bag is make sure that your needle is new and a 70/10..the sharpness of a new needle will make sure that it sews through the vinyl smoothly. Also turn your machine speed down if you need too. It is also written in the instructions but highlight the words "unzip 2/3 of the way" VERY IMPORTANT. This will ensure your bag will be able to turn correctly.


Once you have finished the case you have the choice of either hand stitching the opening shut or using fusible tape, which leaves a seam free finish.  Here's my completed case!


I put crayons in the front for my kids and then stickers and sheets of paper in the back pocket with no problems at all.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment