Sunday 19 April 2015

Christmas Stockings In the Hoop- Five star fonts

With 8 months to Christmas I know everyone will be asking "Why in the world would you bring up Christmas this close to having just got over easter!!". Well a tip that I read in a book about organization suggests that you should always be planning for events...even those 8 months away. If you own your own embroidery business or like to just embroider for family and friends imagine how nice it would be December 1st and you already have your stock/gifts done. Yes...All done!!! Start now. Make a decision every week or month from today, depending on how much needs to be done, you are going to embroider something for Christmas. Which brings me to today's post! Christmas stockings!  

Created and developed by: Five star fonts (BUY HERE)

Cost:  $9.99 (US)

Embroidered on: Husqvarna Topaz 20

Size Available: 4x4 Hoop - 2.99 x 3.89 Finished size - 2.85 x 3.75
                       5x7 Hoop - 4.74 x 6.98 Finished size -4.60 x 6.85
                       6x10 Hoop - 5.65 x 8.66 (fits Hus D1 & center of ART Mega Hoop) Finished size - 5.45 x 8.50
                       6.25 x 10.25 Hoop - 6.19 x 9.49 Finished size - 6.00 x 9.30
                       7x12 Hoop - 6.90 x 10.58 Finished size -6.75 x10.40
                       8x12 Hoop - 7.60 x 11.65 Finished size - 7.45 x 11.50

Instructions: Yes (In color and well written!)

Skill level: Beginner to advanced.

Time taken: 30 min after fabric cut out

Stabilizer used: I used medium weight tear away(Instructions say to use a cutaway but i just didn't tear it from all the little spaces between the stitches and it worked OK)


I love Five star font designs as they are always accompanied with detailed instructions and pictures! This stocking is no different. When you open up the instructions there is information on supplies, advice on what to use and fabric measurements to prepare before embroidering.This design has 4 quilting styles included- Diamond, Stipple, Channel Vertical, Channel Horizontal. I chose the diamond style for my sample piece. Throughout the instructions I liked that it prompted you on when to add in your own personalization so you didn't have to guess. To add a name onto the stocking you do need to have software (I use Embird) and basic knowledge on how to add in a font. If you just want to do plain stockings that's fine too.

Following the steps is very easy and throughout I had no problems or questions. The only thing that I would emphasize is make sure you iron when it says so that your seams lay flat when it is turned inside out. (I thought I wouldn't bother and it was a touch bulky but my second one I did iron and it was perfect) 

Here is my version:


I used these at Christmas time as place settings. I put a fork, spoon and knife in each and a serviette at the back. They were a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment