Tuesday 24 February 2015

Shabby Key Fob

When I'm looking for a fast and easy gift for friends this is one of my "Go to" designs as they are quick, easy and i can use up some of my scraps! 

Created and developed by: GG Embroidery designs (Buy Here)

Cost:$7.50 (AU)

Embroidered on: Husqvarna Topaz 20

Size Available:   5x7 hoop - completed size approx. 3" long
                              6x10 hoop (small) - completed size approx. 3.75" long
                              6x10 hoop (large) - completed size approx. 4.5" long
                              7x12 hoop - completed size approx. 5.25" long

Instructions: Yes!!! (It tells you all supplies needed including sizes and hardware then it has FANTASTIC color pictures showing you each step)

Skill level: Beginner to advanced

Time taken:  20 min (6x10 large size) after fabric cut out

Stabilizer used: I used medium weight tear away.

 

These Shabby key fobs are incredibly easy to stitch out. Upon opening the instructions you see everything is written up for you including sizes of fabric to cut out and all hardware supplies. If you have never done in the hoop designs before this is definitely something to start with as the instructions are so well done you are guided the whole way without any guess work. Two different versions are included too in each size - a wavy quilting stitch and a simple line quilting one. I chose to do the wavy one. You need a piece of thin cotton wadding/batting. I had lots of the warm and natural batting so I used that with no problems. 

GG designs also include Tips in there instructions which was fantastic. I had never used matching thread before in my bobbin but it is necessary so that you have a matching thread to the top of the flap which folds over. I just used the embroidery thread and wound it on as i do with normal bobbin thread and this worked fine. (They do recommend test stitching this though to see if this works for your machine satisfactory). For the final steps you also need pinking shears. This reduces the fray that the cotton and batting has and gives it a groovy looking finish. If you had the appropriate software you could add a name or monogram but i think these look cool just by themselves. Have a look at mine:


This is the large 6x10 and it fits my wrist easily.




1 comment:

  1. I love this, I was looking for something simple as giveaways at an event that I am doing. This would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete